Wednesday 8 January 2014

News

So this week everyone's got AIDS.

It started with Fernando and then Christine and then Kerri caught it but luckily I have the immune system of a seahorse due to not smoking 50 a day, like Ken, and eating kale and rye so I am fit and well.

It's so funny how the dynamic can change so fast here. We make friends with a lot of people because unlike most hostels, the guests just hang out here like it's a house so they're here a lot like the staff. So it's hard when we have to say goodbye to people we've had meals with, done activities with and cleaned up after. Last week we said goodbye to three favourite characters...the Russian wigga who turned out to be a really intelligent doctor from Ukraine, Vicky- a south African yogic spiritual free spirit and Sasha the Russian businessman.

After you say goodbye and are reminded of the temporality of it all, you get reluctant to start again with new people and filling the void feels tiresome.

I was sat at the kitchen table on my phone and I looked up and was suddenly surrounded by loads of new Asian when I realised they were talking to me, asking if ive been to the "Gran Canny". Then Gangnam style came on to add to the sitcom.

Furthermore, I bought an iPhone for $120 from a guy in a blue Nissan in the parking lot of 'Jack in the box' - a burgerrrr joint. It's amazing but now I have two smartphones to charge! #firstworldproblems

I took everyone out for taco Tuesday last night, we had margaritas at the hostel before we came out and I learnt about rocket launchers and clusterbombs from a Vietnamese army officer serving here in SD.

I've been sunbathing - me and Anke, my 19yr old Belgian, obsessed-with-Justin-Beiber-but-also-likes-Netsky (?) roomie went and laid in the local dog park, stripped down to our bikinis, closed our eyes soaking up the heat to be awoken by a massive St. BERNARD LICKING OUR FACES.

Me and Ken had a beach day on Monday, we went to Ocean Beach (OB to us because we're local as fuck) and covered ourselves in tanning oil which turned into a sticky sandy mess haha

I went out and had a haircut last week and felt like a genuine American citizen, it was so nice to be pampered.

An Aussie guy, who, after bragging to everyone about how he's "done most of the UK, Europe and Ibiza - absolutely smashing it everywhere" told Kerri that Australians apparently fucking hate the English because of cricket. She simply informed him that she fucking hates Australians. Hahaa

Christine won volunteer of the week and has decided to put the $60 towards our leaving party next week.

Tomorrow we are going out on the yaught for a booze cruise and hopefully a bit of casual whale watching....

Incredibly the weather is still amazing here regardless of the worldwide arctic tundra!!

No comments:

Post a Comment