Thursday 30 January 2014

Bugs, blunts and bitchiness.

So we just tackled a 2 inch cockroach. My second of the day. Kerri sprayed it relentlessly whist I screamed directions: "keep spraying! keep spraying! keep fucking spraying it!"

We arrive at the hostel and introduced ourselves and the woman at reception says "oh you're here to work eh?" Laughs and makes a whip-cracking movement and sound. We laugh nervously (after agreeing previously there is no fucking way we are working on our first day) 

After noticing some of the notices that are up everywhere I reckon it might be quite harsh here, "stop that, don't forget this, don't do that, absolutely none of that". 

We sorted this out by emailing them on the off chance so we aren't bound or protected by a workaway contract like in San Diego (where people would smoke a spliff before starting work and be given drinks throughout their shift). 

We were given a room with a random old Brazilian man who I spoke to in Spanish who said "bonito" to every place I said we were going, which was nice. Luckily the whip cracker let us off for the day but we are to work 6 hours a day, five days a week. I'm doing morning shifts, Ken is on evenings. Day off together. 

There is a SAUSAGE dog here called "Joaquina" which is the name of the local beach. It's such a jokes dog just crawling along so low with its belly grazing the ground and it sleeps in a bed which is a soft shark so it's face pokes out the sharks mouth haha.

So I started work at 8am sharp this morning and watched them make a breakfast of tropical fruit, cheese, ham, cereal etc and then we went upstairs to check the bathroom and the whip cracker looked behind me and screamed and was like MOVE so I did and she ran back with the bug spray and started annihilating this massive cockroach which was on the wall above my head until it fell to the floor and writhed around in its white creamy death bed. 

I made a banana cake which was fun and then the whip cracker asked me if I wanted to smoke a blunt! Whaaat haha I'm good thanks.

During the first day or two we had decided they are super anal, OCD clean freaks. You have to check the bathrooms every 5 minutes to see if the light is on or the bin needs changing. 

 Last night Kerri got shown how to turn all the lights on and when I was cutting up fruit for a guest I was asked if I had washed my hands. I also got told off for talking to guests because i was supposed to be watching to see if a segment of fruit needed replacing of an extra grain of granola needed putting out (it was all absolutely fine). 

After the initial couple of days we've realized it's just one bitch, a Brazilian girl who is making it seem ridiculous, she clearly has a chip on her shoulder about something, everyone else is safe and just really proud of the cleanliness awards they have won over the years. She actually goes a little further to be a class A bitch. Kerri heard her refer to me as "the English girl" to her colleague the other day. I have bitten my tongue and simply laughed when she had a go at me for no reason. One time was when two guests  were 'making a loud noise' at 9.30am.

After she had told them off, she said to me, 

"Jenna tell your friends (what because they're English, too?) not to be loud before ten am." 

Me: " haha, it has nothing to do with me, I didn't make a sound"

Her: "yes but can you tell them (they're standing right next to us) it's very important that you are quiet during these times" 

She then went on to labour the point in front of the guests, who were massively confused. They had ran up and hugged each they in excitement after not having seen each other for a year. Chill the fuck out love, it's a hostel not a meditation centre. 

Me: "haha! It wasn't me"

 SHABBAH!

Such a constrast from ITH where they let me cook for thirty people no questions asked but here they have to watch over our shoulder as we clean the sinks, with PURE ALCOHOL, It's like using vodka to wipe a table down! (Not hangover friendly).)

We have decided to "no-rise" it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment